General Capabilities evident across the unit include Literacy, Information and communication technology capability, Critical and creative thinking, Personal and social capability, Ethical understanding, and Intercultural understanding.
The cross-curriculum priority highlighted in this unit is Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and culture.
This resource targets the content descriptors for Australian Curriculum: English Senior Secondary (Unit 3). This text could also be studied in the Australian Curriculum: Literature senior secondary course and some of these activities may be helpful for that study.
Compare texts from similar or different genres and contexts by:
- analysing language, structural and stylistic choices (ACEEN041)
- explaining how each text conforms to or challenges the conventions of particular genres or modes such as crime fiction, advertising or short films (ACEEN042)
- analysing and evaluating how similar themes, ideas or concepts are treated in different texts. (ACEEN043)
|Compare and contrast distinctive features of genres by:
- analysing the techniques and conventions used in different genres, mediums and modes (ACEEN044)
- considering how the conventions of genres can be challenged, manipulated or parodied (ACEEN045)
- examining how genres and their conventions have changed and adapted over time. (ACEEN046)
|Analyse and evaluate how the conventions of texts influence responses, including:
- how expectations of genres have developed and the effect when those expectations are met or not met, extended or subverted (ACEEN048)
- how responses to texts and genres may change over time and in different cultural contexts. (ACEEN049)
|Create a range of texts:
- making innovative and imaginative use of language features (ACEEN051)
- using and experimenting with text structures and language features related to specific genres for particular effects (ACEEN052)
- sustaining analysis and argument (ACEEN053)
- using appropriate referencing; for example, footnotes, in-line citations and reference lists (ACEEN054)
- using strategies for planning, drafting, editing and proofreading (ACEEN055)
- using accurate spelling, punctuation, syntax and metalanguage. (ACEEN056)
|Reflect on their own and others’ texts by:
- analysing and evaluating how different texts represent similar ideas in different ways (ACEEN057)
- explaining how meaning changes when texts are transformed into a different genre or medium (ACEEN058)
- comparing and evaluating the impact of language conventions used in a variety of texts and genres. (ACEEN059)
Source for content descriptions above: Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA).