A dazzling, compassionate and deeply moving novel from one of world literature’s rising stars.
A mesmerising literary novel, Questions of Travel charts two very different lives. Laura travels the world before returning to Sydney, where she works for a publisher of travel guides. Ravi dreams of being a tourist until he is driven from Sri Lanka by devastating events.
Around these two superbly drawn characters, a double narrative assembles an enthralling array of people, places and stories – from Theo, whose life plays out in the long shadow of the past, to Hana, an Ethiopian woman determined to reinvent herself in Australia.
Award-winning author Michelle de Kretser illuminates travel, work and modern dreams in this brilliant evocation of the way we live now. Wonderfully written, Questions of Travel is an extraordinary work of imagination – a transformative, very funny and intensely moving novel.
- Winner, NSW Premier’s Literary Awards, Christina Stead Prize for Fiction, 2014
- Winner, NSW Premier’s Literary Awards, Community Relations Commission for a Multicultural NSW, 2014
- Winner, Miles Franklin Literary Award, 2013
- Winner, ALS Gold Medal, 2013
- Winner, Prime Minister’s Literary Award for Fiction, 2013
- Winner, Western Australian Premier’s Book Awards, Premier’s Prize, 2013
- Winner, Western Australian Premier’s Book Awards, Fiction Prize, 2013
- Shortlisted, Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards, Fiction Prize, 2014
- Shortlisted, Miles Franklin Literary Award, 2013
- Shortlisted, IMPAC Dublin Literary Award, 2014
- Shortlisted, Indie Awards, Fiction, 2013
- Shortlisted, Stella Prize, 2013
- Shortlisted, Nita B Kibble Literary Award for Women Writers, 2013
- Shortlisted, Adelaide Festival for Literature, 2014