Grandpapa’s eyes shine when he remembers the beauty of the world, long-ago. Peterboy wants to find something wonderful to bring the light to Grandpapa’s eyes and keep it there. What he finds is a duck, wounded and broken, and Grandpapa mends her from top to tail; quack, waddle and wing!
The Duck and the Darklings is a triumphant story, for children and adults, about the coming of hope in dark days, the warmth of friendship and the splendour of a new dawn.
- Short-listed Sakura Medal, for selected books in the reading program across Japan 2017 Japan
- Winner Western Australian Premier’s Book Award – Children’s Books 2016 AU
- Short-listed NSW Premier’s Literary Awards, Patricia Wrightson Prize for Children’s Literature 2015 AU
- Short-listed The Wilderness Society’s Environmental Award for Children’s Literature, Picture Fiction category 2015 AU
- Short-listed CBCA Picture Book of the Year, 2015 2015 AU
- Commended White Raven book 2015 DE