This compelling young adult novel about growing up in a migrant Asian family with a mother who is suffering from a mental illness was short-listed for the Prime Minister’s Literary Awards.
Anna Chiu has her hands pretty full looking after her brother and sister and helping out at her dad’s restaurant, all while her mum stays in bed. Dad’s new delivery boy, Rory, is a welcome distraction and even though she knows that things aren’t right at home, she’s starting to feel like she could just be a normal teen. But when Mum finally gets out of bed, things go from bad to worse. And as Mum’s condition worsens, Anna and her family question everything they understand about themselves and each other.
This nourishing tale about the crevices of culture, mental wellness and family was the winner of the Indie Book Awards.
- Shortlisted Best Young Adult Literature, Prime Minister’s Literary Awards 2020 AU
- Shortlisted Readings Young Adult Book Prize 2020 AU
- Shortlisted Book of the Year for Older Children, ABIA Awards 2020 AU
- Longlisted Best Book for Older Readers, CBCA Awards 2020 AU
- Shortlisted Best Designed Young Adult Cover, Australian Book Design Awards 2020 AU
- Winner Best Young Adult Novel, Indie Book Awards 2020 AU