Wen Zhou is determined to create a future for herself that is more satisfying than the life her parents expect her to lead. Equal parts heartbreaking and hopeful, the CBCA Notable Book Tiger Daughter is a wonderfully compelling and authentic Own Voices novel about growing up Asian in Australia.
What I feel most days is that nothing is ever going to change. That my life won’t even start, and that I’ll be stuck like this forever.
Wen Zhou is the daughter and only child of Chinese immigrants whose move to the lucky country has proven to be not so lucky. Wen and her friend, Henry Xiao – whose mum and dad are also struggling immigrants – both dream of escape from their unhappy circumstances, and form a plan to sit an entrance exam to a selective high school far from home. But when tragedy strikes, it will take all of Wen’s resilience and resourcefulness to get herself and Henry through the storm that follows.
Tiger Daughter is a novel that will grab hold of you and not let go.
- Longlisted Best Designed Young Adult Cover, Australian Book Design Awards 2022 AU
- Notable Book Book of the Year, Older Readers, CBCA Awards 2022 AU
- Winner People’s Choice Award, Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards 2022 AU
- Shortlisted Award for Writing for Young Adults, Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards 2022 AU
- Shortlisted Griffith University Young Adult Book Award, Queensland Literary Awards 2021 AU